Parents: Help Sports Kids Let go of Mistakes
In “Sports Psychology Sessions with Doc,” Dr. Patrick Cohn answers a question from Kay about what she can do when her son freezes because the coach is really intense.
Visit Sports Psychology for Athletes at Peaksports.com and click on contact us to submit your mental game questions for Dr. Cohn to answer in his mental game videocast or podcast.
Does your young athlete freeze on the field because the coach is really intense?
Kay wrote into us and said:
“Intense coaches make my son freeze up on the field, lose confidence and want to quit the sport he loves. What can I do to help him stay relaxed and play well?”
Intense coaches can be coaches that yell, talk to players after mistakes, yell after mistakes or bench kids after mistakes. Typically intense coaches are those that bull kids and get away with it.
Your athlete is freezing on the field due to fear of making mistakes and is losing confidence.
As a parent, you can help your child learn how to deal with the coaches behavior and how to let go of mistakes.
Watch the video below to learn what Dr. Cohn says you can do as a sports parent to help your athlete let go of mistakes and stop worrying about what the coach is going to do.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to be updated on all our latest videos!
Subscribe to the Peaksports YouTube channel now to receive updates on our new content!
Available Now: “10-Minute Pregame Prep”
Young athletes and their parents and coaches tell us that sports kids often struggle with these pregame mental game challenges:
- They feel pressure to excel from expectations they feel from others
- They focus too much on the outcome instead of the process
- They fail to take charge of their confidence before the compete
- They don’t trust in their skills when they go from practice to competition
- They hang on to mistakes and dwell in them in competition
- They worry too much about what others think about their performance
- They tighten up and play safe when they feel pressure to succeed
- They interpret pregame jitters as harmful to their performance
“10 Minute Pregame Prep” will tell you everything you need to know about ensuring your sports kids avoid classic mental game pitfalls before a game, learn how to trust their instincts, and just go for it. It provides lots of advice for you, too…
With our program, you can stop wondering what to do and relax before your kids’ games!
Sign up for our free report to receive weekly emails and tips:
Help Young Athletes Boost Confidence in Sports!
Do your young athletes:
- Criticize themselves often after making mistakes?
- Freeze up and look scared when faced with competitive pressure?
- Lose confidence after working with a negative coach?
- Perform like stars in practice but freeze up or play tentatively during games or competitions?
If so, check out The Ultimate Sports Parent!
The Ultimate Sports Parent will teach you powerful mental toughness secrets to improve your child’s success in sports.
Get proven strategies form leading youth sports experts!
What are sports parents saying about our mental training program?
“We really enjoy your emails and are grateful that we found your web site. It is so needed. There really isn’t much out there to guide parents. Thank you for your work. And yes, we have passed on your web site to numerous parents.”
~Debbie and Peter Cooney
“After listening to your podcasts and reading your free e-book, most of the challenges apply to my 14-year-old son. He’s got all the physical ability, but unsure of himself in games. He has a difficult time rebounding from errors, the screaming coach on the side, along with his uncle in the stands probably doesn’t help his confidence. So reading and listening to your information has been so helpful and validates what I have observed in him for the past few months. Thank you so much!”
~Brenda Felder, Everett, WA